Tier 1 (Post-study work) - closed to new applicants
Passport or travel document
This page lists the documents you must provide to prove your immigration status in the UK during your studies, if you are applying for permission to enter or remain in the UK under Tier 1 (Post-study work) of the points-based system.
Full details of all requirements are in the Immigration Rules at paragraphs 245V to 245ZA of part 6a, which you can find on the right of this page. You must read the policy guidance before you apply under this category. You can download the guidance and application form from the Applying section.
How we check your passport or travel document
You must send your original passport(s) or travel document(s) with your application.
We need to verify that, during your period of study and/or research in the UK, you had the immigration status of:
- a student; or
- a student nurse; or
- a student resitting an examination; or
- a student writing up a thesis; or
- a dependant of someone with permission to stay under any category that allowed their dependants to join them in the UK.
If you are in the UK and cannot provide the passport(s) or travel document(s) containing the relevant permission to stay, we will confirm your status in the UK during the period of study and/or research by checking our electronic record.
We will not award any points (and will therefore refuse your application) if:
- you have not sent us the relevant passport(s), travel document(s) or biometric residence permit; and
- we cannot confirm your status during the period of study and/or research in the UK by checking your immigration history using our electronic records.