Tier 1 (Post-study work) - closed to new applicants
Original letter from United Kingdom institution
This page explains the original letter from a United Kingdom institution you must provide to support your application to the post-study worker category (Tier 1 Post-study work) under the points-based system to work in the United Kingdom.
Full details of all requirements are in the immigration rules at paragraphs 245V to 245ZA of part 6a, which you can find on the right of this page. You must read the policy guidance before you apply under this category. You can download the guidance and application form from the Applying section.
What the letter must confirm
This letter must be an original letter (not a copy), on the official letterheaded paper of the United Kingdom institution where you studied and include the official stamp of that institution. It must have been issued by an authorised official of that institution and must confirm:
- your name;
- the title of the qualification;
- the start and end dates of your period(s) of study and/or research for this qualification at the United Kingdom institution; and
- the date of award (no more than 12 months before the date of your application).
If the qualification is an HND from a Scottish institution, the letter must also include confirmation that the qualification is at HND level and was studied at a Scottish institution.
If you are unable to provide a certificate of award (for example, when the application is made before your graduation), this letter must also include:
- details of the body awarding the qualification; and
- confirmation that the certificate of the award will be issued.