Tier 1 (Post-study work) - closed to new applicants
This section explains the documents you should provide to support your application to the post-study worker category (Tier 1 Post-study work) under the points-based system to work in the United Kingdom.
Sending original documents
You must send the original document, not a copy.
What documents you must send
If you do not provide the specified documents, we will only contact you to ask for them if you have submitted:
- a sequence of documents, and some of the documents in that sequence are missing (for example, if one bank statement from a series is missing);
- a document in the wrong format; or
- a document is not an original document.
We will contact you or your representative in writing, and the evidence must be received by the UK Border Agency processing centres within 7 working days. If you do not send in the correct documents we may refuse your application. We will not ask for further information where:
- none of the information has been submitted (for example an English language certificate is missing); or
- where we do not anticipate that a correction of minor errors or omissions will lead to an approval because the application will fail for other reasons.
You must send two recent passport photographs and your passport, along with proof of the following:
- original certificate of award;
- original letter from United Kingdom institution;
- maintenance (funds).
How we return your documents
If you are in the United Kingdom, your documents will be returned to you by post to the address you provide on your application. If a representative makes an application on your behalf your documents will be returned to him/her. Your documents will be returned using recorded delivery. If you want your documents to be returned by special delivery, you should provide a prepaid special delivery envelope. You can also arrange for your documents to be collected by courier at your own cost. If you would like to arrange a courier, put a courier request in writing by fax to 0114 207 5862.
If you are outside the United Kingdom, your documents will be returned in the same way you sent them to us. For example, if you took them to a visa application centre, the visa application centre will return them to you.