Tier 1 (Post-study work) - closed to new applicants
This page explains how your child can apply to stay in or come to the United Kingdom if you are applying under the post-study worker category (Tier 1 Post-study work) of the points-based system to work in the United Kingdom.
In order to be given entry clearance or permission to stay, a child must meet the conditions set out in the immigration rules at paragraph 319H of part 8, which you can find on the right side of this page. You must read the policy guidance before you apply under this category. You can download the guidance and application form from the Applying section.
The conditions children must meet to get permission to stay
If the child is successful, he/she will be given entry clearance or permission to stay subject to the following conditions:
- he/she must have no recourse to public funds, which means he/she will be unable to claim most benefits paid by the state; and
- he/she must register with the police, if paragraph 326 of the immigration rules requires him/her to do so.
Children born while you are in the UK
If you have 1 or more children while you are in the UK, you can apply for their permission to stay in the UK. You must complete the dependant application form and send a full UK birth certificate showing the names of both of the child's parents.
Dependants of Tier 1, 2 and 5 migrants of the points-based system - for applications made inside the UK
- Application form for Tier 1, 2 and 5 dependants of points-based systemPDF 479KB opens in a new window
- Policy guidance on dependants of points-based system migrantsPDF 405KB opens in a new window
- Help text for dependants of points-based system Tier 1, 2 and 5 applicantsPDF 357KB opens in a new window