Tier 1 (Post-study work) - closed to new applicants
Conditions of your stay
This page explains how long you can stay in the UK under Tier 1 (Post-study work) of the points-based system, and sets out the conditions of your stay here.
How long can you stay?
If you successfully apply for a visa or to switch into Tier 1 (Post-study work), you can come here for a maximum period of 2 years. You cannot apply to extend your stay at the end of this period. You are expected to switch into another part of the points-based system as soon as you are able to do so.
You can apply to extend your total stay in the UK to a maximum of 2 years if you are currently here under:
- the Science and Engineering Graduates Scheme (SEGS); or
- the International Graduates Scheme (IGS); or
- the Fresh Talent: Working in Scotland Scheme (FT: WISS).
What can you do while you are in the UK?
Your permission to stay will be subject to the following conditions:
- you will have no access to public funds, which means that you will not be able to claim most benefits paid by the state;
- you must register with the police if required under paragraph 326 in Part 10 of the Immigration Rules; and
- you may not be employed as a doctor in training, unless:
- you have a UK primary degree in medicine or dentistry at or above bachelor's level, from a UK recognised or listed body or an institution that holds a Tier 4 sponsor licence; or
- you last had permission to stay in a category that allowed you to be employed as a doctor or dentist in training, and you were employed as a doctor or dentist in training during that time.