Tier 1 (Post-study work) - closed to new applicants
This section describes the Tier 1 (Post-study work) category of the points-based system.
From 6 April 2012, Tier 1 (Post-study work) will be closed to all new applicants. Dependants can still apply to join applicants who have obtained prior entry clearance for Tier 1 (Post-study work).
The information in this section is only relevant to you and your dependents, if you are already in the United Kingdom under the post-study work category.
The Tier 1 (Post-study work) category allows the UK to retain the most able international (non-European) graduates who have studied here. Applicants who have permission to stay under Tier 1 (Post-study work), you can look for work without needing to have a sponsor.
The category provides a bridge to highly skilled or skilled work. If you have permission to stay as a post-study worker, we expect that you will switch into another tier of the points-based system as soon as you can.
Before you apply, you must read the Tier 1 (Post-study work) policy guidance, which you can find on the right side of this page. The policy guidance is based on Part 6A of the Immigration Rules.
To find out whether you can make an application under Tier 1 (Post-study work), read the Can you apply? pages.
Do you need a Tier 1 (Post-study work) visa to come to the UK?
Tier 1 (Post-study work) is part of our points-based system, which is for migrants from outside Europe. You do not need to apply under the points-based system if:
- you are a national of a country in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland - the European nationals section describes your right to work in the UK;
- you are a British overseas territories citizen, unless you are from one of the sovereign base areas in Cyprus;
- you are a Commonwealth citizen with permission to enter or stay in the UK because at least one of your grandparents was born here - the UK ancestry section explains how you can apply;
- your partner or (if you are under 18) one of your parents has permission to stay in the UK under Tier 1 (Post-study work) - you should apply as their dependant; or
- you have no conditions or time limit attached to your stay.
Tier 1 (Post-study work) guidance
- Tier 1 (Post-study work) policy guidancePDF 332KB opens in a new window