Tier 1 (Investor)
This section explains whether and how you can apply to enter or remain in the UK under Tier 1 (Investor) of our points-based system.
The Tier 1 (Investor) category is for high-net-worth individuals who want to make a substantial financial investment in the UK.
You do not need a job offer to apply in this category. We will assess your application based on your ability to invest £1,000,000 in the UK.
Before you apply, you must read the Tier 1 (Investor) policy guidance, which you can find on the right side of this page. The policy guidance is based on Part 6A of the Immigration Rules.
To find out whether you can make an application under Tier 1 (Investor), read the Can you apply? pages.
Find out more about investing in the UK
The UK provides the ideal location for global companies to thrive. To find out more about the UK offer and how UK Trade & Investment can support your business, visit the UK Trade & Investment website.
Do you need a Tier 1 (Investor) visa to come to the UK?
Tier 1 (Investor) is part of our points-based system, which is for migrants from outside Europe. You do not need to apply under the points-based system if:
- you are a national of a country in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland - the European nationals section describes your right to work in the UK;
- you are a British overseas territories citizen, unless you are from one of the sovereign base areas in Cyprus;
- you are a Commonwealth citizen with permission to enter or stay in the UK because at least one of your grandparents was born here - the UK ancestry section explains how you can apply;
- your partner or (if you are under 18) one of your parents has permission to stay in the UK under Tier 1 (Investor) - you should apply as their dependant; or
- you have no conditions or time limit attached to your stay.
Tier 1 (Investor) policy guidance
- Tier 1 (Investor) policy guidancePDF 633KB opens in a new window
MORE NEWS AND UPDATES
- Approved English language tests for partners
- Immigration Rule changes - Armed Forces
- New premium services announced
- New visa application customer satisfaction survey