Tier 1 (Graduate entrepreneur)
This section explains how you can enter or remain in the UK under the Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur) category of the points-based system.
The Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur) category allows non-European MBA and other graduates to extend their stay after graduation to establish one or more businesses in the UK.
It is also for overseas graduates who have been identified by UK Trade Investment (UKTI) as elite global graduate entrepreneurs who intend on establishing one or more businesses in the UK.
Before you apply, you must read the Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur) policy guidance, which you can find on the right side of this page. The policy guidance is based on Part 6 A of the Immigration Rules.
To find out whether you can make an application under Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur), read the Can you apply? pages.
Do you need to apply under Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur)?
Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur) is part of our points-based system, which is for migrants from outside Europe. You do not need to apply under the points-based system if:
- you are a national of a country in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland;
- you are a British overseas territories citizen, unless you are from one of the sovereign base areas in Cyprus;
- you are a Commonwealth citizen with permission to enter or stay in the UK because at least one of your grandparents was born here; or
- you have no conditions or time limit attached to your stay.
Limit on Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur) applications
The UK government has limited the number of applications that can be made under Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur) category.
There is a limit of 2,000 places per year (running from 6 April 2013 to 5 April 2014).
The limit of 2,000 places will be allocated as follows:
- 900 places will be allocated to qualifying Higher Education Institutions for graduates in any subject, known as General endorsements;
- 1,000 places will be allocated to qualifying Higher Education Institutions for MBA graduates, known as MBA endorsements; and
- 100 places will be allocated to UKTI for overseas graduates, known as Global endorsements.
Participating Higher Education institutions, (these must be highly trusted sponsors under Tier 4, or A rated Tier 2 and 5 sponsors (if a Tier 2 and 5 sponsor licence is held) will be allocated up to a maximum of 10 endorsements per institution., To qualify institutions must confirm that:
- they wish to take part;
- they have established processes and competence for identifying, nurturing and developing entrepreneurs among their undergraduate and postgraduate population; and
- in the case of MBA Endorsements, that they award MBA qualifications.
The limit does not apply to existing Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur) applicants who wish to extend their leave under this category.
Tier 1 (Graduate entrepreneur)
- Tier 1 (Graduate entrepreneur) application formPDF 984KB opens in a new window
- Tier 1 (Graduate entrepreneur) policy guidance PDF 516KB opens in a new window
Do it online
MORE NEWS AND UPDATES
- Tier 4 sponsor guidance republished
- New forms for applicants in the UK
- Online points calculator and sponsorship IT systems unavailable from 23 November
- Approved English language tests for partners