Tier 1 (General)
This page explains what proof you must provide if you are part-way through the process of applying to the Highly Skilled Migrant Programme (HSMP) and wish to apply to Tier 1 (General) - highly skilled worker under the points-based system; or you were granted permission to stay as a highly skilled migrant on or before 8 November 2006, and want to extend your stay under the transitional arrangements.
Full details of these requirements are in the immigration rules at paragraph 245E of part 6A. You must read the policy guidance before you apply under this category. You can download the guidance and application form from the Applying section.
HSMP approval letters
If you are part-way through the process of applying to the Highly Skilled Migrant Programme and wish to benefit from transitional arrangements (reduced fee and automatic award of the necessary points for attributes and English language), you must send your valid HSMP approval letter.
Self-employed transitional route
If you are self-employed, were granted permission to stay as a highly skilled migrant before 8 November 2006 and want to extend your stay, you must send the following documents:
- your HM Revenue & Customs registration documents confirming you are registered for tax;
- copies of contracts and invoices for your business, covering the last 4 months at least;
- copies of documents that show you have ongoing business commitments for the next 6 months;
- copies of documents that show your business projections for the next 6 months; and
draft business accounts for the business.
You must also provide 2 copies from the following:
- utility bills showing the name of the business
- VAT Return
- company registration certificate with Companies House
- copies of any registration documents (for example a local health authority registration)
- lease of premises for business use
- insurance documents for the business