Tier 1 (General)
This section explains the documents you should send to support your application under Tier 1 (General) of the points-based system.
On this page
Sending original documents
You must send the original document, not a copy.
What documents you must send
If you do not send us all the documents we need when you make your application, we will contact you if you have sent:
- a sequence of documents, and some of the documents in the sequence are missing (for example, if one bank statement from a series is missing);
- a document in the wrong format; or
- an original document is not sent to us.
We will contact the you or your representative in writing, and the evidence must be received by the UK Border Agency processing centres within 7 working days. If you do not send in the correct documents we may refuse your application.
We will not ask for further information where:
- none of the information has been submitted (for example an English language certificate is missing); or
- we do not anticipate that a correction of minor errors or omissions will lead to an approval because the application will fail for other reasons.
You must send 2 recent passport photographs and your passport, along with proof of the following:
- maternity or adoption-related absence (if relevant);
- previous earnings;
- United Kingdom experience;
- English language;
- maintenance (funds); and
- HSMP transitional arrangements (if relevant).
In certain circumstances you may be unable to supply the combination of documents above, for example, if you are still on maternity leave and no birth certificate has been issued. In this case, you should read the policy guidance for details of other evidence that we may accept.
How we return your documents
We will return your documents to you by post, to the address you provide on your application. If a representative makes an application on your behalf, we will return your documents to them.
We will return your documents by recorded delivery. If you want us to return them by special delivery, you should provide a prepaid special delivery envelope. You can also arrange for your documents to be collected by courier at your own cost. If you would like to arrange a courier, you must make your request in writing by fax to 0114 207 5862.