Tier 1 (General)
This page explains the requirements for maintenance (funds) that you must meet if you want to apply for permission to enter or remain in the UK as the dependant of an applicant or migrant under Tier 1 (General) of the points-based system.
To qualify for a visa or permission to stay as a dependant of a Tier 1 (General) applicant or migrant (the main applicant), you must show that you have enough personal funds to support yourself for your entire stay.
Your evidence must show personal cash funds which are held in savings or current accounts. Other accounts such as shares, bonds, overdrafts, credit cards and pension funds are not accepted as evidence.
You and the main applicant should have already assessed your potential living costs to ensure that you have enough funds to support yourselves. Your application will not succeed if you are unable to meet the maintenance requirements.
If the main applicant has been in the UK for less than 12 months, you must show that you or they have at least £1,800 to support you, in addition to the funds needed to support them.
If the main applicant has been in the UK for 12 months or more, you or they must have at least £600 to support you.
How we assess maintenance evidence for online bank accounts
Accounts held with internet based banks
For the purpose of the points-based system an online bank account is one that operates over the internet only and sends your bank statements to you electronically (for example over the internet or by email).
If your wish to use electronic bank statements from an online bank account as evidence, these statements must always be accompanied by a supporting letter from that bank, on their company headed paper, confirming the authenticity of the statements.
Accounts held with other banks
If you have a bank account that does not operate exclusively online but you receive your bank statements electronically, and you wish to use these statements as evidence of funds for maintenance, you should provide:
- electronic bank statements printed at the bank on their official stationery; or
- electronic statements printed by the applicant and bearing the official stamp of the bank in question. This stamp should appear on every page of the statements; or
- a supporting letter from the bank, on the bank's company headed paper, confirming the authenticity of the statements.
All evidence must meet the requirements listed in the policy guidance which you can download from the right side of this page. Mini-statements from cash points are not acceptable as evidence.
Dependants of Tier 1, 2 and 5 migrants of the points-based system - for applications made inside the UK
- Application form for Tier 1, 2 and 5 dependants of points-based systemPDF 479KB opens in a new window
- Policy guidance on dependants of points-based system migrantsPDF 405KB opens in a new window
- Help text for dependants of points-based system Tier 1, 2 and 5 applicantsPDF 357KB opens in a new window