Tier 1 (Entrepreneur)
This section explains whether and how you can apply to enter or remain in the UK under the Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) category of the points-based system.
Changes to Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) route from 31 January 2013 - updated
This page provides guidance on the changes to the Immigration Rules for the Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) category, in particular for applicants who applied before 31 January 2013 and are waiting for a decision on their Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) application.
Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) is for non-European migrants who want to invest in the UK by setting up or taking over, and being actively involved in the running of, a business or businesses here.
Before you apply, you must read the Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) policy guidance, which you can find on the right side of this page. The policy guidance is based on Part 6A of the Immigration Rules.
To find out whether you can make an application under Tier 1 (Entrepreneur), read the Can you apply? pages.
Doing business in the UK
The UK is the ideal location for entrepreneurs to achieve growth and success. To find out more about the UK offer and how UK Trade & Investment can support your business, visit the UK Trade & Investment website.
Do you need a Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) visa to come to the UK?
Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) is part of our points-based system, which is for migrants from outside Europe. You do not need to apply under the points-based system if:
- you are a national of a country in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland - the European nationals section describes your right to work in the UK;
- you are a British overseas territories citizen, unless you are from one of the sovereign base areas in Cyprus;
- you are a Commonwealth citizen with permission to enter or stay in the UK because at least one of your grandparents was born here - the UK ancestry section explains how you can apply; or
- you have no conditions or time limit attached to your stay.
If you are a Turkish citizen who is currently outside the UK or legally in the UK under a different immigration category, you can apply to establish yourself in business under the European Community Association Agreement with Turkey. We will consider your application under different rules from those for Tier 1 (Entrepreneur).
MORE NEWS AND UPDATES
- Upcoming PCS strike action - April 2013
- Immigration fees change on 6 April 2013
- 6 April changes to the Immigration Rules
- New application forms - 6 April 2013
- Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) policy guidance PDF 685KB opens in a new window