If your visa has expired or will expire soon
This section explains how you can apply to extend your temporary permission to stay (also called 'limited leave to remain') in the UK.
If you currently have temporary permission to stay in the UK, you may be able to extend this permission and stay here longer. If you came here as a visitor, you cannot extend your permission to stay as a visitor beyond 6 months in most cases - however, in some circumstances you may be able to switch into a different immigration category. To find out about switching into a particular category, see the information about that category in the Working in the UK or Studying in the UK section.
If you want to extend your stay, you must apply for permission to do so before your existing permission ends. If your permission has already ended, you are required to leave the country - if you do not do so, you may be liable for removal.
Before you apply to extend your permission to stay, you should ensure that you meet the requirements in your immigration category. To find out about these requirements and to download an application form, select your immigration category from the list below.
Points-based system categories
- Tier 1 (General)
- Tier 1 (Entrepreneur)
- Tier 1 (Investor)
- Tier 1 (Post-study work) - you cannot stay here in this category for more than two years
- Tier 2 (General)
- Tier 2 (Minister of religion)
- Tier 2 (Sportsperson)
- Tier 2 (Intra company transfer)
- Tier 4 (General)
- Tier 4 (Child)
- Tier 5 (Temporary workers - Creative and sporting)
- Tier 5 (Temporary workers - Charity workers)
- Tier 5 (Temporary workers - Religious workers)
- Tier 5 (Temporary workers - Government authorised exchange)
- Tier 5 (Temporary workers - International agreement)
- Tier 5 (Youth Mobility Scheme) - you cannot stay here in this category for more than two years
Other work categories
- Overseas qualified nurse or midwife
- Domestic worker
- Sole representative of an overseas firm
- Representative of an overseas newspaper, news agency or broadcasting organisation
- Turkish businessperson (ECAA)
- Turkish worker (ECAA)
- UK ancestry
- Retired person of independent means
- Dependant of exempt HM Forces personnel
Extending your permission to stay permanently
If you want to apply for permission to settle permanently in the UK (also called 'indefinite leave to remain'), you should read the section on settlement.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is my immigration status while my application is being decided? If you make an application before your authorised stay ends, your existing immigration status will continue until your application is decided, even if the decision is not made until after the end of your permitted stay. You can continue to work until your case is decided if the conditions of your existing leave allows you to do so.