What documents should you provide to support a general visitor's application?
This page explains what documents you may need to supply to support a general visitor's application.
The documents we need will depend on the circumstances of the case. We might need your visitor to provide:
- evidence of your immigration status in the UK; and
- a letter of sponsorship explaining your relationship to the visitor, the purpose of their visit and where they will stay during their visit.
If you will supply financial support and accommodation for your visitor, and/or you will pay for their travel to the UK, they will need to provide:
- copies of your bank or building society statements and payslips for the last 6 months; or
- a copy of your savings account book.
If you are sponsoring a person for the purposes of business, we may ask them to provide a letter from your company which states:
- the links between your companies;
- what your visitor will be doing; and
- whether your company is paying for the trip.
Can you act as a guarantor for your visitor?
You cannot guarantee that the visitor who you are sponsoring will leave at the end of their visit. If we decide that your visitor cannot enter the UK, this does not mean that we doubt what you have told us. It is because the visitor has not satisfied us that they qualify for entry.