Partner of a British citizen or settled person
This section describes the documents that you should send us to support your application to enter or remain in the UK as the husband, wife or civil partner of a British citizen or a person settled here.
All supporting documents must be originals, not copies.
If you do not send us all the documents we need when you make your application, we may refuse your application because of insufficient evidence, and your fee will not be refunded.
You must send:
- 2 recent passport photographs and your passport - see the Photographs and passport page
- evidence of your age and your partner's age
- your marriage or civil partnership certificate
- evidence that you were both free to marry or enter your civil partnership, if either of you was previously married or in a civil partnership
- evidence that you have met
- evidence of your English language ability - see the English language page
- evidence that you meet the financial requirement.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I get my documents returned urgently if i have sent them with my application?
If you have sent your documents to us with your application and you need them back urgently, please see the Return of documents page for details of how to do this.
MORE NEWS AND UPDATES
- Approved English language tests for partners
- Changes to document requirements
- Our application forms are changing
- Minimum income threshold for family migrants
A person in a legal relationship that can be registered by two people of the same sex and that gives the couple legal recognition for their relationship. In a range of legal matters, civil partners are treated the same as opposite-sex partners who are married.
A legal relationship that can be registered by two people of the same sex and that gives the couple legal recognition for their relationship. In a range of legal matters, civil partners are treated the same as opposite-sex partners who are married.