Applying for a visa as the child of a British citizen or settled person
This page explains how you can apply for a visa to come and settle in the UK if you are the child of a British citizen or someone who is settled here.
The Children of British citizens and settled people page describes the requirements that you must meet when you apply.
Depending on the country where you live, you may need to make your application online or using application form VAF4A.
To find out which application method you should use, see 'More information' below.
You can download application form VAF4A and its guidance notes from the right side of this page.
As part of your application, you will need to enrol your fingerprints and facial image (known as 'biometric information') at a visa application centre.
Select your country in our country finder to find out:
- how to apply in your country (including how to apply online);
- the location of our visa application centres;
- how long we generally take to process visa applications; and
- how your documents will be returned to you.
If your application is successful, you can find information about what will happen at the border (including customs requirements) in the Customs and travel information section.
Should you apply online or complete an application form on paper?
If you are applying for a visa from the following countries, you should apply using our online application system, Visa4UK:
- Antigua and Barbuda
- Bosnia and Herzegovina
- British Virgin Islands
- Burkina Faso
- Cape Verde
- Cayman Islands
- Central African Republic
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- Democratic Republic of the Congo
- Dominican Republic
- East Timor
- Equatorial Guinea
- French Guiana
- Guinea Bissau
- Hong Kong
- Ivory Coast
- Marshall Islands
- New Zealand
- Palestinian Authority
- Papua New Guinea
- Russian Federation
- Samoa and Western Samoa
- San Marino
- Sao Tome and Principe
- Saudi Arabia
- Sierra Leone
- Solomon Islands
- South Africa
- South Korea
- St Kitts and Nevis
- St Vincent and Grenadine
- St Lucia
- Trinidad and Tobago
- Turks and Caicos
- Vatican City
- Western Sahara
If you are applying for a visa from the following countries, you should apply by printing out an application form and completing it by hand:
- North Korea
If you are applying for a visa from the following countries, you can choose whether to apply using our online application system or by printing off the application form and completing it by hand:
- Sri Lanka
Family of British citizens and settled persons - visa application fees
Husband, wife or civil partner £851 Fiance(e) or proposed civil partner £851 Unmarried or same-sex partner £851 Armed forces dependent £810 Child (under 18) dependant £851 Adopted child dependant £851 Child coming to the UK for adoption £851 Family life as a parent £851 Parent, grandparent or other dependant relative £1,906
What is the date of your application if you are applying from outside the UK?
The date of your application is the date when your application fee is paid to us. This will be the date shown on your payment receipt, which depends on how you paid for your visa application - for example, at a visa application centre or online.
Processing times - applications made outside the UK
The time required to process your visa will depend on the country where you are making your application.
Our Visa services section lists our recent processing times for different application types in each country around the world.
Visas for partners and other family members with a view to settlement
- VAF4A application form - partners, children and other family of UK citizens or settled persons (settlement) PDF 215KB opens in a new window
- VAF4A - Appendix 1 - Adult Dependant Relatives and Children of parents granted limited leave before 09 July 2012PDF 173KB opens in a new window
- VAF4A - Appendix 2 - Financial requirement form PDF 342KB opens in a new window
- VAF4A - Appendix 3 - Dependants of members of HM Forces PDF 248KB opens in a new window
- VAF4A - Appendix 4 - Pre-flight family reunionPDF 187KB opens in a new window
- VAF4A - Appendix 5 - Parent exercising access rightsPDF 178KB opens in a new window
- VAF4A - Appendix 6 - Former Gurkhas and their dependants PDF 202KB opens in a new window
- Supporting documents guidance - settlementPDF 238KB opens in a new window