Diplomats, government officials and members of governments
This page is for diplomats, officials and members of governments. It explains how you can travel to or through the UK, and which application form you need to complete.
If you are travelling to or through the UK for private reasons, for example as a tourist or to study, you should apply for a visa in the normal way, apart from Kuwaiti holders of diplomatic or special passports. You can find details of the different categories and ways to come to the UK in the 'Visas and immigration' section. The application forms are in the applying section of each category.
You should complete the appropriate diplomatic application form if you are:
- a diplomat coming to the UK on a posting;
- a dependant of a diplomat who is coming to the UK on a posting;
- a diplomat travelling to the UK on official business;
- a diplomat who is in transit through the UK to take up a diplomatic posting in another country;
- a member of a foreign government coming to the UK on official government business; or
- a member of a foreign government passing through the UK to another country on official business.
You can find the forms on the right of this page.
VAfDIP1 - This form is for diplomats posted to the UK
VAFDIP1DEP -This form is for dependants of diplomats posted to the UK.
VAFDIP2 - This form is for diplomats travelling to the UK on official business and for members of foreign governments travelling to the UK on government business.
VAFDIP3 - This form is for diplomats who are 'in transit' through the UK to take up a diplomatic posting in another country or for members of foreign governments who are 'in transit' through the UK to another country on official business.
As part of your application, you will need to enrol your fingerprints and facial image (known as 'biometric information') at a visa application centre.
Select your country in our country finder to find out:
- how to apply in your country (including how to apply online);
- the location of our visa application centres;
- how long we generally take to process visa applications; and
- how your documents will be returned to you.
If your application is successful, you can find information about what will happen at the border (including customs requirements) in the Customs and travel information section.
Visa application forms - diplomats and official visits
- VAFDIP1 application form - diplomatic posting to the UKPDF 111KB opens in a new window
- VAFDIP1DEP application form - dependant of a diplomatic posted to the UKPDF 111KB opens in a new window
- VAFDIP2 application form - official visit to the UKPDF 116KB opens in a new window
- VAFDIP3 application form - official transit through the UKPDF 117KB opens in a new window
- Guidance notes for diplomatic visa applicationsPDF 107KB opens in a new window