Visas for British Overseas Territories
This page explains how you can apply for a visa if you want to travel from USA to some British overseas territories.
The UK Border Agency in New York accepts visa applications on behalf of the following countries;
- British Virgin Islands
- Cayman Islands
- Falklands Islands
- Turks and Caicos Islands
If you want to travel to any other country that is not on the list above, you must contact that country's nearest embassy or diplomatic post to find out whether and how you need to apply for a visa.
Before you apply
Before you apply, you must:
- prepare your supporting documents - you will need to provide all the necessary supporting documents for your application;
- check the visa application fee. We charge a fee for handling applications on behalf of other countries and we may also charge a forwarding fee if we have to refer your visa application to the country to make a decision. In some circumstances a country may choose to charge an additional fee if they have to correspond with you directly.
How to apply
If travelling to a British overseas territory, you must complete and submit a visa application form. You can only complete and submit the application form online. You must select Type of Visa = 'Other'. Purpose of Visit = 'Overseas Territory and Commonwealth' on the online visa application form. Using the wrong form may result in your application being delayed or refused.
As part of the online application process, you will need to print out and sign your completed form. If you do not have access to a printer when you apply, you will be able to log in and print out the form later. When you have completed your online application, you will receive an email message containing your application number (also known as a 'GWF reference'). Please make a note of this number.
You can find the online application form under 'Do it online' on the right side of this page.
Paying your visa application fee
You can only pay your visa application fee by online payment using a Visa or MasterCard credit or debit card. We are unable to accept any other type of credit cards.
For some British overseas territories, visa applications may need to be referred to the territory you intend to visit. Where a visa application has to be referred to a British overseas territory for a decision, an additional fee is charged. If you are required to pay a referral fee you will be contacted by a member of the UK Border Agency New York once your application has received. In cases of referral, the waiting period for approval may take up to 2 months or longer, depending on the country. The UK Border Agency cannot guarantee that the visas will be issued on time.
To complete the application process, you must send your completed visa application form and supporting documents to the UK Border Agency New York. You will not be required to give your biometric data. We strongly suggest you use a mail provider that allows you to track delivery of your application and requires a signature on delivery.
The address is:
UK Border Agency - Overseas Territory
845 Third Avenue
New York, NY 10022
When you submit your application to the UK Border Agency New York you should include:
- the printout of your completed online visa application form, signed and dated by you;
- your passport or valid travel document. You are not legally required to have 6 months validity on your passport at the time you apply for your visa. But your passport must be valid at the time you apply and at the time you arrive in the UK;
- if you are not a US Citizen, you must include evidence of valid immigration status in the USA e.g. your original permanent resident card, advance parole document, or a valid visa in your passport or US visa approval notice. If you are on a J-1 visa you must include your DS-2019, and if on an F-1 visa you must include your I-20;
- 1 recent passport-sized (45mm x 35mm) colour photograph of your face, which meets the requirements set out in our photograph guidance - you can download this guidance from the right side of this page;
- evidence of online payment; and
- any supporting documents relevant to your application and a photocopy of each document including English translations - the Supporting documents page contains more information.
If your application needs to be referred, you may have to wait 2 months or longer (depending on the country) for a decision on your visa application. We cannot guarantee that your visa will be issued by the date you request.
If you require more information about visas for the above British overseas territories, please contact WorldBridge.
You can find their contact details on the WorldBridge in USA website.
Do it online
News & updates
- Photograph guidance for applications made outside the UKPDF 334KBopens in a new window