Visas for Commonwealth countries and British overseas territories
This page explains how you can apply for a visa if you want to travel from Turkmenistan to some Commonwealth countries and British overseas territories. The British Embassy in Ashgabat accepts visa applications on behalf of the following countries:
- Ascension Islands
- British Indian Ocean Territory
- British Virgin Islands
- Cayman Islands
- Falkland Islands
- The Gambia
- Pitcairn Islands
- St Helena
- St Lucia
- Sierra Leone
- Trinidad and Tobago
- Turks and Caicos
You can apply for a visa to St. Kitts and Nevis online using the following website: evisa.gov.kn. All visa fees are paid on arrival in St. Kitts. If you want to travel to any other country that is not on the list above, you must contact that country's nearest embassy or diplomatic post to find out whether and how you need to apply for a visa.
Before you apply
Before you apply, you must:
- prepare your supporting documents - you will need to provide all the necessary supporting documents for your application;
- check the visa application fee. We charge a fee for handling applications on behalf of other countries and we may also charge a forwarding fee if we have to refer your visa application to the country to make a decision. In some circumstances a country may choose to charge an additional fee if they have to correspond with you directly.
How to apply
- If travelling to a British overseas territory or Commonwealth country, you must complete and submit a visa application form online.
- When you apply online, your appointment must be no more than 60 days after the date when you completed and submitted your online visa application form.
- Once you have completed the online application form, you will be prompted to book an appointment online to submit your application. You can either book the appointment at this stage or log in at a later date to retrieve your application. You can also print the application form at any time by logging on to the same website. You can only make your appointment once you have completed and printed off the online application form.
- If you apply online, you will need to print out and sign your completed form. If you do not have access to a printer when you apply, you will be able to log in and print out the form later. When you have completed your online application, you will receive an email message containing your application number (also known as a 'GWF reference'). Please make a note of this number.
- You can find the online application form under 'Do it online' on the right side of this page.
How to pay the fee
You can only pay your visa application fee online in US dollars. Please ensure that you print out the proof of payment receipt.
Attending the visa application centre
When you attend the visa application centre, you must bring:
- the completed visa application form, signed by you;
- your passport. You are not legally required to have 6 months validity on your passport at the time you apply for your visa. But your passport must be valid at the time you apply and at the time you arrive in the UK;
- 1 recent passport-sized (45mm x 35mm) colour photograph of your face, which meets the requirements set out in our photo guidance, which you can download from the right side of this page and;
- any supporting documents relevant to your application. You must provide the original documents. If you want us to return any documents to you, you should photocopy them and give us the photocopy as well as the original document. We will not return documents to you if they have not been photocopied.
You cannot send your printed application form or supporting documents by post. You must come to the visa application centre in person, at the time and date of your appointment, and bring all the necessary documents with you. We will not refund the fee if your application is unsuccessful.
The British Embassy in Ashgabat website contains more information about the visa application centre's location, contact details and opening hours.
If your application needs to be referred, you may have to wait 2 months or longer (depending on the country) for a decision on your visa application. We cannot guarantee that your visa will be issued by the date you request.
If you require more information about visas for the above Commonwealth countries and British overseas territories, please contact the British Embassy in Ashgabat. You can find their contact details on the British Embassy in Ashgabat.
Do it online
News & updates
- Photograph guidance for applications made outside the UKPDF 334KBopens in a new window