Visas for British Overseas Territory from Sri Lanka
This page explains how you can apply for a visa if you want to travel from Sri Lanka to some British overseas territories. Our visa application centre in the Sri Lanka accept visa applications on behalf of the following countries:
- Cayman Islands
- Falkland Islands
- Antigua & Barbuda
- St Lucia
You can apply for a visa to St. Kitts and Nevis online using the following website: evisa.gov.kn. All visa fees are paid on arrival in St. Kitts. If you want to travel to any other country that is not on the list above, you must contact that country's nearest embassy or diplomatic post to find out whether and how you need to apply for a visa.
Before you apply
Before you apply, you must:
- prepare your supporting documents - you will need to provide all the necessary supporting documents for your application;
- check the visa application fee. We charge a fee for handling applications on behalf of other countries and we may also charge a forwarding fee if we have to refer your visa application to the country to make a decision.
How to Apply
If travelling to a British overseas territory, you must complete and submit a visa application form. You can complete and submit the visa application form online, or you can print out the form and complete it by hand.
If you apply online, you will need to print out and sign your completed form. If you do not have access to a printer when you apply, you will be able to log in and print out the form later.
You can find the online application form under 'Do it online' on the right side of this page.
When you have completed your online application, you will receive an email message containing your application number (also known as a 'GWF reference'). Please make a note of this number.
Applying on a printed application form
If you want to complete the application form by hand, you can find the relevant form on the right side of this page.
Paying your visa application fee
There are 3 options for paying your visa application fee:
- You may visit any of the designated branches of Sampath Bank which are listed on the right hand side of this page.
The bank will issue a demand draft in favour of the British High Commission which will be valid for 6 months from the date of issue. You must attend the bank in person with your passport. In the case of a family, one of the applicants can visit the branch along with the original passports of all the family members applying for visas. Please bring the demand draft with you to the visa application centre when you submit your application.
There is no charge for this payment service.
- You can obtain a demand draft from any bank in favour of 'The British High Commission' payable in Colombo. Bank charges for this service will vary. Please bring the demand draft with you to the visa application centre when you submit your visa application. One demand draft should be submitted per applicant.
At the visa application centre
- You can pay the visa application fee in cash at the visa application centre. The Deutsche Bank facilities are located at the visa application centre for fee collection. A service charge of Rs.500 (inclusive of taxes) for this facility will be applicable.
You should ensure that you get a receipt when you pay the fee. We will not refund the fee if your application is unsuccessful.
For some British overseas territories, visa applications may need to be referred to the territory you intend to visit. Where a visa application has to be referred to a British overseas territory for a decision, an additional fee is charged. Any referral fees must be paid in cash at the visa application centre. In cases of referral, the UK Border Agency has no control over how long it may take a particular country to make a decision on the visa application.
Visa application centre
To complete the application process (even if you are applying online), you must attend the visa application centre. You do not need an appointment.
You must present your completed visa application form and supporting documents in person at the visa application centre in Sri Lanka. You will not be required to give your biometric data.
You cannot send your printed application form or supporting documents by post. You must come to our visa application centre in person, and bring all the necessary documents with you. If you pay your fee at the visa application centre, we will give you a receipt. We will not refund the fee if your application is unsuccessful. You can find the address of the visa application centre on the VFS Global in Sri Lanka website.
When you attend your appointment, you must bring:
- the printout of your completed online visa application form, signed by you;
- your passport. You are not legally required to have 6 months validity on your passport at the time you apply for your visa. But your passport must be valid at the time you apply and at the time you arrive in the UK;
- 1 recent passport-sized (45mm x 35mm) colour photograph of your face, which meets the requirements set out in our photo guidance, which you can download from the right side of this page.
- the receipt for your visa application fee; and
- any supporting documents relevant to your application and a photocopy of each document (including English translations) - the supporting documents page contains more information.
If your application needs to be referred, you may have to wait 2 months or longer (depending on the country) for a decision on your visa application. We cannot guarantee that your visa will be issued by the date you request.
If you require more information about visas for the above British overseas territories, please contact our commercial partner VFS Global. You can find their contact details on the VFS Global in Sri Lanka website.