Visas for Commonwealth countries from Ethiopia
This page explains how you can apply for a visa if you want to travel from Ethiopia to some Commonwealth countries. Our visa application centre in Addis Ababa accepts visa applications on behalf of the following Commonwealth countries:
- British Virgin Islands
- Cayman Islands
- Turks and Caicos Islands
- Trinidad and Tobago
If you want to travel to a country that is not on the list above, you must contact that country's nearest embassy or diplomatic post to find out whether and how you need to apply for a visa. If you want to travel to St Kitts and Nevis, you can apply for a visa online at the St Kitts and Nevis website.
Before you apply
Before you apply, you must:
- prepare your supporting documents - you will need to provide all the necessary supporting documents for your application;
- check the visa application fee. We charge a fee for handling applications on behalf of other countries and we may also charge a forwarding fee if we have to refer your visa application to the country to make a decision. In some circumstances a country may choose to charge an additional fee if they have to correspond with you directly.
How to apply
If travelling to a Commonwealth country, you must make your visa application online. After you have completed and submitted your online application form, you will need to print out the completed form. If you do not have access to a printer when you make your online application, you will be able to print out the form at a later date.
You can find the online application form under 'Do it online' on the right side of this page.
Paying your visa application fee
The visa application fee must be paid in cash at the Wegagen Bank below the visa application centre:
740/15 , Bole Road
Adjacent to Saay Pastry
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
You should ensure that you get a receipt when you pay the fee. We will not refund the fee if your application is unsuccessful.
For some Commonwealth countries, visa applications may need to be referred to the territory you intend to visit. Where a visa application has to be referred, an additional fee maybe charged. Any referral fees must be paid in cash at the visa application centre. In cases of referral, the waiting period for approval may take up to 2 months or longer, depending on the country. The UK Border Agency cannot guarantee that the visas will be issued on time.
The visa application centre
You must present your completed visa application form and supporting documents in person at the visa application centre in Addis Ababa. You will not be required to give your biometric data.
You cannot send your printed application form or supporting documents by post. You must come to the visa application centre in person, and bring all the necessary documents with you. If you pay your fee at the visa application centre, we will give you a receipt. We will not refund the fee if your application is unsuccessful. You can find the address of the visa application centre on the VFS Global in Ethiopia website.
When you attend your appointment, you must bring:
- the printout of your completed online visa application form, signed by you;
- your passport. You are not legally required to have 6 months' validity on your passport at the time you apply for your visa. But your passport must be valid at the time you apply and at the time you arrive in the UK;
- 1 recent passport-sized (45mm x 35mm) colour photograph of your face, which meets the requirements set out in our photo guidance (PDF 326KB opens in a new window);
- any supporting documents that are relevant to your application and a phototcopy of each document (including English translations) - the supporting documents page contains more information.
If your application needs to be referred, you may have to wait 2 months or longer (depending on the country) for a decision on your visa application. We cannot guarantee that your visa will be issued by the date you request.
If you require more information about visas for the above Commonwealth countries, please contact the VFS Global call centre. You can find their contact details on the VFS Global in Ethiopia website.