Tinsley House immigration removal centre
Tinsley is a modern purpose built centre which was opened in 1996. The centre is adjacent to Gatwick airport and operates in accordance with Detention Centre Rules (2001).
Address and contact information
Perimeter Road South
Main Switchboard: 01293 434800
Fax: 01293 434846
UK Border Agency manager: Debby Weston
Tinsley House is managedby GS4 on behalf of the UK Border Agency.
The centre manager is Derek Milliken.
The centre can currently hold 119 males and 8 families.
- the centre has a well-stocked library where detainees have access to a wide array of reading material. There is also a computer room
- detainees have access to English, arts and crafts.
- the centre also contains a well-equipped gym and there is also a sports hall and field with equipment for detainees to play football and volleyball
- chapel and prayer rooms are located within the centre
- there are several television rooms within the centre
- there is a children's play area and small kitchenette located in the family wing
- childcare workers are available everyday
- 24-hour medical care is provided on site with a nurse on duty during the day and a doctor visiting on a daily basis
Facilities for families
The family unit at Tinsley House is completely self contained and families are able to lead an independent life style if they choose with access to a kitchen, a lounge, a dedicated external courtyard, medical and prayer rooms.
- there are 8 family suites with en-suite shower rooms with 1 Disability Discrimination Act (DDA) compliant room. All family suites have special lockable doors for extra privacy.
- kitchen with facilities for families to prepare their own food if required.
- play room dedicated to younger children.
- day room dedicated to older children.
- outdoor children's play area with full playground equipment.
- on-site qualified child care workers, with access to social worker support if required.
- a children's play area and small kitchenette located in the family wing.
- childcare workers are available everyday.
- 24-hour medical care is provided on site. There is a nurse on duty during the day. There is also an on-call doctor who visits on a daily basis.
Visiting times are daily 1400 to 2100 and last entry is 2030.
All visitors need to bring 1 of the following; passport (including foreign passports and travel documents recognised by HM Government European Community), identity card and photographic driving licence (paper and photograph sections).
Or 2 of the following; birth or marriage certificate, rail or bus pass with photograph, employer's I.D. or student card, young persons proof of age card, trade union membership card, senior citizen travel pass issued by a local authority or a benefits book.
The only item allowed into the visits lounge is money. Vending machines are availble for those wishing to buy confectionary.
Visitor's booking number: 01293 434800.
Fax number to contact detainees: 01293 434825
Detainees can be contacted via the main switchboard on 01293 434800.
Legal representatives should book appointments via fax on 01293 434846 and should also provide proof of identity as per visitors.
By road - Leave the M23 at Junction 9 and at the slip road roundabout take the spur road towards Gatwick Airport. Go straight across at the next roundabout heading towards the North Terminal and take the 4th exit at the next roundabout onto the A23. At the next roundabout (called Longbridge Roundabout) take the 4th exit remaining on the A23 heading towards Crawley. Continue to the next roundabout and take the 3rd exit Perimeter Road East and then take the first turning on the left into Perimeter Road South. Tinsley House is a half mile on the left, past the aircraft hangars on the right hand side.
By rail - Take the train to Gatwick airport. The easiest way from there is by taxi but that is expensive for a short journey. There are two other options. Firstly, you can walk and it will take about 20 minutes on a good day. Secondly, you can catch the Airlinks staff bus on showing your UK Border Agency pass; that runs approx every 10 minutes. For both options, on leaving the train you should go up into the airport concourse and go left down to the virgin area. Go through the doors in the far left hand corner, down the stairs and out into the layby area. The white Airlinks bus leaves there every 10 minutes. For those walking, just keep on going with the runway on the right, then turning right into Perimeter Road South. Tinsley House is half a mile on the left, passed the aircraft hangars on the right-hand side.
Detention services now operates a policy, which restricts the amount of baggage detainees can have in the centre.