Harmondsworth immigration removal centre
Address and contact information
Harmondsworth immigration removal centre
Main telephone and fax
Phone: 020 8283 3850
Fax: 020 8283 3851
Harmondsworth is located adjacent to Heathrow airport and is next to the latest immigration removal centre, Colnbrook. The centre is run under detention centre rules (2001). Harmondsworth is a purpose built, long-term centre where detainees are accommodated, pending their case resolutions and subsequent removal from the United Kingdom. The general build up consists of cases currently fitting the current detention criteria. For example, fast track cases and special operations cases.
UK Border Agency manager: Sarah Edwards.
The centre is managed by the GEO Group Limited on behalf of UK Border Agency.
Centre Manager: Joanne Henney.
Open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
615 single males can be accommodated at the centre.
- world faith centre - includes several prayer rooms
- a well-stocked library with a wide range of books, magazines, newspapers and other reading material
- gymnasium with a selection of fitness equipment including weights etc
- a sports hall with provision for indoor games such as volleyball, basketball and football
- adult education centre which is staffed by permanent teaching staff, the centre provides a wide range of courses such as arts, crafts, English, computers and IT
a social room on every level, which has televisions, pay-phones, board-games etc
- 24 hour medical care is provided on site by means of a special medical centre which comprises of 3 hospital-type wards (separate for male/female), observation rooms, isolation rooms(for any case which may need isolation due to mental health disorders) nurses room and doctors room.
- the nurses cover a 24-hour period on a rota system.
- the doctors run a morning and afternoon surgery during the day similar to a GP's. Doctors will also carry out assessments on all new receptions into the centre.
- an external dentist and psychiatrist attend on a weekly basis to tend to any relating medical matters.
- paid work opportunities are available.
- a 'detainee friends' system is in place to support new detainees upon arrival.
From M4 West - Exit junction 5. Take 3rd exit at roundabout onto A4 sign posted Colnbrook. Head towards London along A4 for approximately 3 miles. Pass over motorway and continue straight ahead at the traffic lights. After the lights take the next road on the left (after a row of houses), signposted BT, and Harmondsworth IRC is the building on the left hand side.
From M4 East - Exit junction 4A onto M4 spur road towards Heathrow Terminals 1, 2 & 3. At 'Concorde' roundabout take 2nd exit towards Slough onto the A4. Travel for approximately 1 mile, until you reach a set of traffic lights, turn right at the lights and continue until you reach a roundabout. At the roundabout turn right to come back down the road you travelled and at the lights turn right to bring you back on the A4. After the lights take the next road on the left (after a row of houses), signposted BT, and Harmondsworth IRC is the building on the left hand side.
From M25 - Exit junction 14 onto A3113 (Airport Way) towards Heathrow Terminal 4 and cargo. At next roundabout take 1st exit onto A3044 towards Colnbrook / Longford. At next roundabout continue straight ahead until you reach as et of traffic lights. Turn right at the lights and take the next road on the left (after a row of houses), signposted BT, and Harmondsworth IRC is the building on the left hand side.
Limited parking available to visitors.
Train - The nearest stations are Hatton Cross, West Drayton, Uxbridge.
Buses - West Drayton and Uxbridge to Hatch Lane. Bus U3.
Hounslow West to Longford Village. Bus 81.
Harmondsworth welcomes visitors. Social visits do not need to be booked in advance. The visiting times are from 14:00 to 21:00 each day. Visitors must bring with them photo identification (such as a passport or driving licence) and a utility bill with their name and address which confirms that they live in the UK. Visitors will be searched and their fingerprints will be taken. They will also have their photograph taken. Food and drink is not allowed in the visits hall. Snacks and drinks are available from vending machines.
To book a legal visit, please contact switchboard on 020 8283 3850; fax 020 8283 3851; or email email@example.com.
If visitors, including solicitors, wish to speak to detainees they should contact the main switchboard on 020 8283 3850.
Detention services now operates a policy which restricts the amount of baggage detainees can have in the centre.